UPDATE 1/24/17 - The NCASA Board of Directors approved the following changes to the 2018 event:
Date: February 10, 2018. Site to be determined.
Student Choreography division will be new for high schools. These numbers may be any genre but must be choreographed by students from the participating school. A new Outstanding Choreography Design award will be presented in this category.
Overall Team Awards will be based on the three highest ranked performances from each high school and two highest ranked performances from middle schools.
Penalties for rules violations have been updated.
- 5 point penalty for each Safety Rules violation
- 1 point for every six seconds over / under the time limits
- 1 point for each performer over / under the size limits
New Member Schools will be encouraged to participate in preparation events. New member schools who participate in preparation dance events will have their participation fee refunded by NCASA.
The following changes were made to the 2017 competition:
- The top six speech and two debate entries at the State Final will compete in Round 4. Only this Round 4 will be used to determine the final ranking of these top entries. Non-competing students will be encouraged to view this round. Two to three judges will score Round 4.
- A school must have six entries to qualify as a team. Schools with fewer than six entries may not advance to the State Final but individuals may advance if they qualify.
Regional competitions will be hosted on March 11, 2017 at the sites shown below:
- Meadowview MS in Surry County
- JN Fries Magnet School in Concord
- Grays Creek MS in Fayetteville
- Thales Academy in Rolesville
The State Final will be April 1 hosted by New Century International Middle School in Fayetteville.