Middle School Forensics
NCASA presents the first ever statewide middle school forensics tournament in North Carolina. Read the Overview below for additional information on this activity, including the events in the competition.
Congratulations to State Champion Mac Williams Middle School!
The following changes were made to the 2017 competition:
- The top six speech and two debate entries at the State Final will compete in Round 4. Only this Round 4 will be used to determine the final ranking of these top entries. Non-competing students will be encouraged to view this round. Two to three judges will score Round 4.
- A school must have six entries to qualify as a team. Schools with fewer than six entries may not advance to the State Final but individuals may advance if they qualify.
Regional competitions will be hosted on March 11, 2017 at the sites shown below:
- Meadowview MS in Surry County
- JN Fries Magnet School in Concord
- Grays Creek MS in Fayetteville
- Thales Academy in Rolesville
The State Final will be April 1 hosted by New Century International Middle School in Fayetteville.
Congratulations to State Champion Jay M Robinson and the individual State Champs in our six event categories!
We are pleased to announce the 2016 Middle School Forensics Regional Champions and teams advancing to the state final!
NCASA presented the first ever statewide middle school forensics tournament on May 2. More than 100 students competed for individual and team awards. Ten teams qualified for the State Final and students from four additional schools qualified as winners from their Regional.Team Results:
1 - Jay M Robinson MS of Charlotte
2 - Seventy-First Classical MS
3 - Mount Mourne School
4 - New Century International
5 - JN Fries MS
6 - Wayne School of Engineering
7 - Rogers-Herr MS
8 - Northwest School of the Arts
9 - Pilot Mountain MS
10 - Meadowview MS
Individual Event Winners
Humorous Interpretation - Allison Cody of Mount Mourne School
Dramatic Interpretation - Arella Flur of Charlotte Latin School
Extemporaneous Speaking - Like Suh of New Century International
Original Oratory - Chloe Walters of Northwest School of the Arts
Duo Interpretation - Meghna Iyer / Rakshita Kothapalli of Jay M Robinson MS
Public Forum Debate - Claire Evensen / Sam Boone of Mount Mourne School
The Regional Forensics Tournaments were held on Saturday, April 18 in four sites across North Carolina. Results from each site are shown below. Schools shown in bold italics advanced to the State Final.
Charlotte Regional1 - Jay M Robinson MS
2t - Mount Mourne School
2t - JN Fries MS
4 - Northwest School of the Arts
5 - Charlotte Latin
6 - Randolph MS
7 - Metrolina Regional Scholars
8 - Asheville MS
Triad Regional1 - Meadowview MS
2 - Pilot Mountain MS
3 - Central MS
4 - Gentry MS
5 - Northview IB MS (ISS)